One Room Schoolhouse located in Mineral VA and was found on a farm that was founded in  by 1756 by William Winston the schoolhouse was in use around 1813 and was later converted to a workshop when the county built a school for the local children.

Sadly in 2017 in fell down after a storm after 200 + years of service.


This is Woodson's Mill on the Little River in Montpelier,VA. Often confused with another more well known mill with the same name. Not long ago it was used as the art studio for a local painter who sadly passed away to young. It has been purchased by Dr King Davis who lives near by and is restoring it and researching it's history.

Old Farm House Livingston VA 

Yanceyville Mill in Louisa County was burned in 1863 during the Stoneman's Raid in Louisa County. The present mill was built immediately following the war on the same location.

Yanceyville Mill

Dam for the Yanceyville Mill

Yanceyville Mill cabin close up.

This very old cabin is located off the roads in the woods across from the Yanceyville Mill 
The Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac railroad built a station at Beaverdam on its Louisa line at some time between 1836 and 1840. The railroad's president, Edward Fontaine, lived nearby. The 36 mile Louisa branch connected Louisa with Hanover Junction. Louisa County farmers could thus ship their produce to the port at Aquia on the Potomac River as well as to Richmond, Virginia. During the 1840s, the Commonwealth of Virginia helped finance extension of this branch westward over the Blue Ridge Mountains to Covington in Allegheny County.[3] In 1850 the railroad line's name was changed the Virginia Central Railroad.[4]
The station and railroad proved strategic during the American Civil War, both for troop movement and for transport and storage of military supplies. The wood frame depot changed hands and was destroyed at least three times. On July 20, 1862, John Mosby was captured by Union cavalry under Brigadier General Rufus King while waiting for a train. Later versions of the incident disagree as to whether Mosby was trying to convey information to his commander, General Stonewall Jackson in Richmond, or taking brief leave toward his parents' home in Lynchburg, Virginia, but all agree that Mosby was soon released as part of the war's first prisoner exchange, as well as that the Union raiders burnt the depot to destroy supplies, as well as cut the strategic telegraph line.[5]
By the war's end only 5 miles of Virginia Central tracks remained usable.[3] The Beaverdam station and associated warehouse were among the railroad's first five rebuilt structures; the current station was completed in 1866. The Virginia Central Railroad continued expanding and by the 1880s became part of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad system. The segregated waiting room was constructed around 1910, after the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Chiles v. Chesapeake & Ohio Railway, since Virginia's legislature required segregation of white and "colored" passengers after the Plessy v. Ferguson decision in 1896 allowed "separate but equal" facilities.

Beaver Dam tracks heading west .

Researching still near a train stop in Bumpass VA

You may also like

Back to Top